OccupyUMD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A few questions

2 posters

Go down

A few questions Empty A few questions

Post  fiyarburst Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:44 pm

Hey there OccupyUMD!

I was curious about a few things regarding the event on McKeldin Mall last Saturday. When someone mentioned it to me, I first made sure they weren't protesting UMD itself. You aren't, right? Good. I proceeded to ask them something along the lines of this:

A group for awareness and collaboration for the Occupy movement makes sense. Increasing awareness also makes sense, and if you have to use the name "#OccupyUMD," whatever grabs attention, I guess. But wasn't the idea of the movement to protest in the places where it matters most? There's an "indefinite occupation" of the mall? As if there's actually anything so messed up around here worth occupation more than DC or NY?

I'd just really like to know why we NEED an occupation on the mall- why can't you just round up people to actually go to DC?
I understand that this isn't a protest of UMD but I think you're confusing the tactics of raising awareness and methods of protest, and this event is just going to end up confusing people who may otherwise be potential supporters.

I still would like to know the answers to these questions. I hope this wasn't overly critical or attacking in anyway, because it certainly wasn't meant to be; it just seems as though the general sentiment towards the local chapter is less than favorable, and so I thought this was relevant.

fiyarburst

Back to top Go down

A few questions Empty perhaps a few answers

Post  EGreen Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:00 pm

The local chapter hopes to increase awareness at the University and help move the global occupy movement forward. The local chapter is important for a number of reasons. First and foremost, the mainstream media tends to misrepresent the movement. A local chapter will ensure that the student body is kept well informed on important issues. Further, the global movement has been successful as a collective body of grassroots organizations with no rigid agenda, structure, or leadership. The heart of the local movement is not an occupation of McKeldin Mall. The members of this movement, those who come to the general assembly, those who demonstrate and spread awareness, we are the heart of this movement.

Does that answer your question?

EGreen

Back to top Go down

A few questions Empty Re: A few questions

Post  fiyarburst Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:40 am

EGreen wrote:The local chapter hopes to increase awareness at the University and help move the global occupy movement forward. The local chapter is important for a number of reasons. First and foremost, the mainstream media tends to misrepresent the movement. A local chapter will ensure that the student body is kept well informed on important issues. Further, the global movement has been successful as a collective body of grassroots organizations with no rigid agenda, structure, or leadership. The heart of the local movement is not an occupation of McKeldin Mall. The members of this movement, those who come to the general assembly, those who demonstrate and spread awareness, we are the heart of this movement.

Does that answer your question?

Sort of, and I appreciate you taking my interest seriously. When I first heard of OccupyUMD, I was told that it was created for the purpose of informing of, supporting, and spreading awareness of the global movement- and that was cool!- and I acknowledge that the movement isn't about actually occupying UMD.

I was primarily asking about that particular event, but I have a couple more questions about the group as well.
So, the event itself. I'm just wondering what the purpose of holding this particular event was, particularly after an OccupyDC event had just ended (and not a day before, for example, so as to encourage people to go out to that, for example).
What were you trying to inform people of, or organize for? And why the actual act of camping out on McKeldin? Why not hold talks somewhere in a suitable space, like Nyumburu Amphitheatre or Hornbake Plaza, and during a time when people can actually be informed of things, rather than on Friday night of Halloween weekend?

About the group itself:
I'd rather not make assumptions about the event or the chapter based on a Diamondback article, although I'm willing to bet a lot of people already have. So I have to ask, why didn't the event get postponed until a proper permit was obtained- is that the whole story? How do you actually expect to spread awareness of the movement, when a lot of the people you might be trying to get to HAVE read the story in the aforementioned paper?

fiyarburst

Back to top Go down

Post  EGreen Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:58 am

The purpose of that event was to spread awareness, just like every other event. I was not involved with the planning of that event, though you're right, there could have definitely been a better time and place. We hope to inform students that the American system is broken politically and economically, and that we each have a voice of reason to help change the system.

We hope to spread awareness through our general assemblies and demonstrations; if you have so many ideas and questions about our operations, you should be helping us organize.

fiyarburst wrote:

Sort of, and I appreciate you taking my interest seriously. When I first heard of OccupyUMD, I was told that it was created for the purpose of informing of, supporting, and spreading awareness of the global movement- and that was cool!- and I acknowledge that the movement isn't about actually occupying UMD.

I was primarily asking about that particular event, but I have a couple more questions about the group as well.
So, the event itself. I'm just wondering what the purpose of holding this particular event was, particularly after an OccupyDC event had just ended (and not a day before, for example, so as to encourage people to go out to that, for example).
What were you trying to inform people of, or organize for? And why the actual act of camping out on McKeldin? Why not hold talks somewhere in a suitable space, like Nyumburu Amphitheatre or Hornbake Plaza, and during a time when people can actually be informed of things, rather than on Friday night of Halloween weekend?

About the group itself:
I'd rather not make assumptions about the event or the chapter based on a Diamondback article, although I'm willing to bet a lot of people already have. So I have to ask, why didn't the event get postponed until a proper permit was obtained- is that the whole story? How do you actually expect to spread awareness of the movement, when a lot of the people you might be trying to get to HAVE read the story in the aforementioned paper?

EGreen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum